Friday, March 28, 2014

Smith - Director's Cut

           
            Now that I have seen two renditions of the film I think that there are some good and bad aspects to discuss about how the Director's Cut changes the meaning of the film. Ridley Scott thought it necessary to change the film because of the obvious lack of need for the voice over, happy ending and unicorn dream. These three things are the essential differences in the 1991 film. Personally, I find that the voice over was aimed at people that needed more explanation and I do believe that the viewer could come to the same conclusions without the voice over.
            The happy ending I did miss because I am a romantic and I like the possibility and knowledge of a better future. This version gave us ambiguity and lack of closure. The main thing that I did like was the new aspect of the unicorn dream suggesting that Deckard could be a Replicant. It was a view that I had inklings about but was not sure about. As Deckard sits at his piano, we see a shot of a unicorn running through a forest. In the Director's Cut, it is implied that Deckard is simply sleeping and dreaming. The original 1982 International version had a happy ending added following feedback from the preview versions. This happy ending could have been left off and the voice over taken away and I would have liked that version better. Ford was always unhappy with what this movie was about and how it turned into a cult picture. Even though I like some of the aspects of this movie, I still agree with Ford when he said, “The final version was something that I was completely unhappy with. The movie obviously has a strong following, but it could have been more than a cult picture” (Pfeiffer 119). 
            The important change happened at the close of the movie made it seems clear that Rachael has a short replicant life-span, rather than a full human life-span like we originally thought. Assuming that she and Deckard safely escape, does this make the ending that much less happy because of the hope of a happy ending being dwindled. The questions that are raised about whether Deckard himself is a Replicant are particularly interesting in my opinion because of how his feelings about Rachael help to provide some proof about that. As a romantic I prefer the feel-good ending in which Deckard and Rachel escape into the wilderness and the directors cut simply eliminates this footage and ends the film in an unsatisfying state. It left me feeling like I hadn’t seen a whole movie. It does fit this versions new mood however.

            A directors cut implies that this version of Blade Runner is the best in his opinion. The scene that illuminates the Director’s Cut the most occurs when Deckard is saved and not killed in the ending. When Batty says that it is time to die, I originally thought that he was talking about Deckard. He actually expires and releases the dove as he dies. When we see the first daylight shot in this film noir movie, we realize that even the replicates were real in some ways. He understands why this is important when he moves on with his life with Rachel. Or so we can imagine.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with much of what you said, especially the part about the unicorn dream. However, I have to say that I really liked the new ending. Perhaps it’s just a matter of personal opinion, but I thought the new ending was much more interesting. I think it was more interesting because it gave the audience an opportunity to fill in the blank based off of the patterns we had seen throughout the course of the movie, and draw a conclusion based on our own logic.
    I see what you’re saying, however, when you said “The happy ending I did miss because I am a romantic.” The new ending without a doubt robs the movie of its sense of textbook romanticism. With an ending like that, I think its important for the director to enhanced emphasis on the romantic pattern if he wants the notion of romanticism to be achieved at the end of the story. If not, then he must be careful not to emphasize that, because someone could falsely draw a romantic conclusion if he did. In my personal opinion I like the fact that there was not a romantic ending personally I feel that life is not as romantic as fiction makes it seem and I therefore felt more of a connect to it.

    ReplyDelete